Friday, April 26, 2013

Oldie's But Goodies




I thought I would give some peoeples eyes a break from seeing me in brights and neons, though I cannot and will not guarantee that I would never wear anything retina burning again. 

I have on some of my all time favourite pieces in my wardrobe. Let's begin with this One Teaspoon sleeves top. I scored this baby for $8.50 on ebay, probably a good 5-6 years ago. I've gone through more than 15 closet clean outs and this is the one item that's always stayed. These J Brand Houlihans were all the craze a few years ago and I had to get my hands on them, though the frugal fiend in me didn't like the price tag of over $170. I just refused to buy them at retail price, until I found them on eBay and won them for $65! Score! I subsequently got 3 more colours for different prices but all were less than $75 each. I was a happy camper after that and I have to say, the fit and silhouette of Houlihans are just like no other.

It's funny, I just had a conversation with a friend about shopping. I find that there will always be something that I want each time I either browse the net or step foot into a store. The 20 year old me would have bought it, especially if it was on sale, not thinking about whether if I would realistically wear it. Thinking back to all my closet clean outs, I think the younger me was shopping for an imaginary lifestyle. The amount of going out dresses and strapless dresses that I accumulated was just riduculous. I had stopped clubbing at around the age of 21-22. Nevermind the fact that I always felt so uncomfortable in those types of clothes anyways, so not only did I probably look slutty, but probably very awkward aswell. I'm sure that didn't scream "Hello Boys!", it was probably more "Hello, has anyone seen my trackie dacks?!"

My point is that, there will always be pretty and beautiful things out there. But if you step back and think if you will realistically wear an item, then you will probably save yourself a lot of money, there will be less closet clean outs and you will have a wardrobe full of items you can wear for years to come.

Top: One Teaspoon / Pants: J Brand / Bag: Alexander Wang / Shoes: Isabel Marant / Belt: Valleygirl / Sunglasses: Oakley / Rings: YSL & Etsy

1 comment:

  1. That is SO true, what you're saying about whether the item you covet will suit your ACTUAL lifestyle, and not just your imaginary one. I've made the same blunder in the past myself, but as I've gotten older and closer to becoming a working professional, I live by the same shopping-philosophy it appears that you do. :) It means my closet is a much more carefully curated place than it once was, and I'm hoping to keep it that way! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate you visiting the blog.
Anne xox